Thursday, February 5, 2009

Confiture à l'onion


Hey everyone! Here I am back in France after a couple of weeks in the US ( NY, Philly and LA) and I am back in school till july. This means a lot of free time as I only classes three days a week...
Today, I felt very inspired as I hadn't cooked for a long time and I had nothing really special to do. Seeing that my roommate had just made crumbles for a dinner she's hosting, I decided to cook something too and I made something quite unusual: "confiture d'oignon" or onion jam if translated. It's really easy to make..except the part where we have to cut the onions..tears guaranteed!

This confiture d'oignon is great on toast briochéé as an appetizer or it can accompany poultry as a main course. Up to you!

You will need:
1 1/2 pounds onions (5 big onions approximately)
1 stick butter (or a little less)
Half a cup white sugar
1 cup dried grape
1 cup strong red wide - I would suggest a Cabernet
1/3 cup wine vinegar - I used a caramel wine vinegar from Corsica...
Salt, Pepper

How to prepare this delicious onion jam:

First, start by peeling the onions and slicing them in thin slices. Put the butter in a large saucepan and add the onions. Let them cook slightly. Pour the sugar, the raisins and add a bit of salt and lots of pepper.
Let cook - keeping it covered - for 30 min.

Then after 30 min, add the red wine and the wine vinegar, put the heat onto medium/low and let simmer for a little hour.

When there is practically no liquid left, the onion jam is ready!

To add to the french touch, pour the jam in French Bonne Maman jam jars (they can be found at Ralph's I think) and prepare a little homemade tag that you can attach to the jar. Your friends will be impressed and so will you!

Have a good day everyone!

No comments: