Sunday, March 15, 2009

My mom's rhum raisin cake


Hey everyone!

I'm very happy these days as I have started cooking again on a regular basis and I have several plans regarding future dinner parties! Dinner parties are what I prefer in cooking as it is the best feeling ever to see your friends thrilled and surprised when they discover the menu!
I organized a brunch with my best friend last sunday and will be putting the recipes online this week, but in the meantime I would really like to share a great cake recipe with you, which is a rhum raisin cake. It is a very easy to make but it has always been considered as my mom's best "creation" as my stepdad would literally die for a slice of this rhum raisin delight! 

After a few "tests"and a few modifications on the original recipe (it dates back from a famous 1965 french classic cookbook), here is the recipe unveiled...

You will need:

125g (0.3 lb)of sugar
175g (0.4lb)of butter
250g (0.55 lb)of flour
3 free range eggs
200g (0.5lb) raisins
1 cup of rhum
1 pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder

How to bake a delightful cake:

1. The night before, put the raisins and the rhum together in a bowl. Let the raisins absorb the rhum. If you are in a hurry, you can put the raisins with the rhum an hour before and then put in the microwave for 15 sec.

2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the softened butter and the sugar. Once the mixture has a creamy texture, add the three eggs one by one while mixing vigorously between each egg. 
Quickly incorporate the flour, the baking powder, the salt, the rhum and the raisins.
You should not mix too vigorously...

3. Butter the cake pan and pour the mixture.

4. Put the cake in the oven at high temperature (220° C). After 20 min approximately when the cake has "swollen", slightly cut the cake in two parts and lower the oven heat to 150°C. Let bake for another hour approximately.

When putting a knife to make sure the cake is perfect, it must come out dry.

Enjoy!




No comments: